Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I didn't sign up for this


Marriage is so much fun at times but other times I just want to scream at the top of my lungs, "I didnt sign up for this." My mother in law laughs at me because I am a hopeless romantic and marriage just isnt like Cinderella or Beauty and the Beast... It is WORK and COMPROMISE and WORK and COMPROMISE. I know it has only been only a year and I do love my husband SO MUCH it is just such a reality shocker for me when life isnt like a princess movie.

Am I the only hopeless romantic out there who thinks well WHY cant marriage be like a movies or a story book? I mean some romantic elements of movies and books are not too far off.... =)

One of my friends and I are both newlyweds so we often talk about these things and also how life has changed from dating. Mostly how our men have changed, even though we both know we have also changed- not to admit that. She led me to a book called the Sacred Marriage. If you haven't read this book you should!!

The main part that sticks out in mind it the idea that marriage was not made to make us happy!... WHAT?!! Yes, marriage was meant to please the Lord. It is so hard to look at a situation and ask yourself, "would starting this argument please HIM" or "would acting this way towards my husband please HIM" or "Does having these negative thoughts about my husband please HIM"

These are the questions I ask myself when I start to focus my marriage on me, selfishly. Sometimes yelling and fighting and ignoring and saying mean things makes me feel better but it shouldn't because it is displeasing to the LORD.

What do you do to keep focused on the LORD and not let the devil or fairytales ideals take over your marriage?

No comments:

Post a Comment